Friday, February 24, 2012

My Perfect Day Alone in Essaouira, Morocco

As a working mother, I get very little time alone to do as I wish. However, that doesn't stop me from dreaming of my perfect day alone. And I can't imagine a better place in the world than Essaouira to enjoy that day.

First, I would want to wake up in a traditional Moroccan riad (guesthouse). There are many beautiful ones at a range of prices in town. I'd probably choose to be in the Orientale Suite at Riad Chbanate. (Which just so happens to be right down the road from my Mother-in-law, Saadia.) After a bath in that amazing powder room, I'd go up to the riad's rooftop terrace for a traditional Moroccan breakfast. Freshly squeezed orange juice and amlou (made with culinary Argan Oil, almonds and honey) are always the highlights for me.

After breakfast, I'd wander through the medina (old maze-like part of the city contained within ancient walls) and enjoy some of the shops. I love looking at home decor in Morocco. The colours and textures are amazing.



Eventually, I'd find myself at the beach. Essaouira has an enormous beach that can be walked for miles. It's often windy, but beautiful just the same.

By then I'd be ready for lunch. I've written about the seafood in Essaouira before. It's utterly amazing.

After lunch, I'd be ready to hit the hammam. On a normal day, I'd just go to one of the local ones which only cost a few dollars (including gommage and massage). But on My Perfect Day Alone, I'd go here. Azur Spa is phenomenal. And I'd get the works. The prices are reasonable and the experience is truly unforgettable.

After enjoying a blissed-out afternoon at Azur, I'd want to just rest with a book on another rooftop terrace.



As the sun went down, I'd probably be able to find it in me to go for dinner. I might be on the hunt for an excellent pastilla. However, there are more and more restaurants in Essaouira all of the time that are getting good ratings. Our old favourite is Le Patio. We ate there the night before our wedding and on several other special occasions. The decor is beautiful and the menu has some good variety on it.

After dinner? I'd probably just find my way back to the riad and would look forward to seeing my family. There are bits and pieces of low key nightlife in Essaouira which I've enjoyed in the past, but I'm getting to the time in my life when I like to end my perfect day alone quietly. If that makes me old, then that's ok with me. ;)

Tell me about YOUR perfect day alone. Any city, any country.

xo, j~

No comments:

Post a Comment