Thursday, December 22, 2011

Forget our wedding anniversary, forget Christmas...

THIS is the day we celebrate.

Nine years ago today I arrived in Essaouira for the first time. I had no idea how to get to the cute little 'riad' I'd booked. And I felt like I needed the "right" person to show me the way. Many friendly people offered help, but I refused. Until HE came by.

My now husband Greg pointed me to the entrance of the medina and told me to go straight-left-right-right-left-left-right-left right-straight. I was sorry I waited for this young man. Sure, he was polite. But? His directions left a lot to be desired. So I took the plunge and entered the maze of the Essaouira medina feeling a little grumbly.

Just a few minutes later he returned. Asked my forgiveness for being so rude and offering to take me directly to the riad.

Within that 10 minute walk for some reason I knew he'd be my best friend. I pictured myself writing letters to him when I was an old lady.

When he dropped me off at the front door he again asked forgiveness for being rude, but he said wanted to ask me to his aunt's house for tea later that afternoon. I accepted the invitation. And the rest, they say, is history.

xo, j~

2 comments:

  1. AW! Out of a story book! Happy anniversary you lovebirds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :)

    The story does kind of sound 'made up' doesn't it? Oh well...

    ReplyDelete