Friday, December 2, 2011

Nothing Better than a Wonderful Riad

Whenever people talk about their trips to Morocco I always find myself asking where they stayed. As soon as I hear the word "hotel" I feel the wind being taken out of my sails a bit. Yes, there are some really nice hotels in Morocco, but the real magic lies in the riads. So when I hear that little word I instantly perk up and have a million questions.

A riad is a traditional Moroccan house that is typically 3 or 4 floors high built around a central courtyard.

Some rooms in basic riads go for less than $10 a night. Others in palace-like riads cost several hundred into the thousands. Some are opulent and ornate, some are simple and sparse. Each one has it's own special charms.




Our favourite riad for years has been Riad Kaiss in Marrakech, pictured above. While looking at the new website it's definitely undergone some changes and it looks like it's under new management. But the riad we know and love is still there in a quiet corner of the medina. I can only guess it is still wonderful. Breakfasts on the rooftop terrace were always delicious. The staff was always gracious. It was always a serene oasis only a few minutes' walk to the central bustle of the Djemaa al Fna.

There are a lot of other riads that we love in Morocco. I hope to show a few more to you, soon!

xo, joèl

No comments:

Post a Comment